Julius,

The K2 does not have a Serial Port - it has an AUX I/O connector.  Not to
belabor the point, but there is a BIG difference (see prior posts).

The real answer depends on the signal lines that are connected and the cable
distance between them.  No one answer applies to all, it is signal specific.
The AUXBUS signal line is the most critical for both drive levels and
timing.

It is known that the K2 can work with the full Elecraft transceiver stack
and the KRC2 (the KRC2 can connect directly to the computer serial port with
proper internal jumpering), but I am not familiar with the specs for the
SteppIR interface, and that is not controlled by Elecraft, so you would have
to pose that question to the folks at SteppIR.

The TXD, RXD and Signal Ground signals are serial communications lines and
are not daisy-chained, like com ports on a computer, these signals are
intended for point to point connection only (the signaling protocol gets
confused about which device is responding).

73,
Don W3FPR