Jonathan,

Yes, replacing KAT100 U1 would be the prudent first step.  But if you can, first determine if the resonator Z1 is providing clock pulses to U1 pins 13 and 14.  Without those clock pulses, U1 will not be functional.

If you have a local ham who also has a KAT100, see if you can swap U1 from his KAT100 to see if U1 is the problem in yours.

If you do not have a local who is willing to swap, then your best bet is to order both the firmware and the resonator from Elecraft.

OTOH, if you have a 4 MHz resonator on hand, try replacing Z1 first to see if it comes back to life.  The resonator is inexpensive, but the firmware IC is costly.

When the firmware is working, it will be recognized by the K2, regardless of any other problems that may be present with the KAT100 operation.

73,
Don W3FPR