On SR1, it's a tad more than "a stone's throw" but on SR1, it's a very long trip from OR to SoCal, you might enjoy the stop.  I'd let them know your plans and dates/times, they'll probably accommodate you.  Both Wayne and Eric are very accessible however I think Wayne may work out of Aptos some of the time.  Elecraft does make great radios.

73,
Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County