My son and I hiked a few miles into Henry Coe state park yesterday, setting up
a winter FD station (KX2) at a spot overlooking an idyllic pond full of
bullfrogs. The weather was, ironically, just about perfect: 60 F, no wind, blue
skies. I regret that we weren't able to share the pain of those who experienced
more winterish conditions.

For an antenna, I tossed 20 feet of wire into an oak tree. When I hooked it up
to the rig I was pleased to find many FD stations on both CW and SSB. Seems
that this event is reaching critical mass.

One of my favorite things to do during ARRL FD is to make a few RTTY contacts,
using the keyer paddle on the rig and letting the radio do the conversion to
FSK. (The K3/K3S, KX2, and KX3 all have this feature.) While I didn't find any
winter FD stations operating RTTY, I did find JA6ZPR on 14.083 operating in a
BARTG contest.

Given that I was running only 10 W to a low random wire, I was surprised when
he came right back to me. This is a new QRP RTTY DX record for me, and I'll
note that the QSO was not computer-mediated in any way ;)

On the drive home we stopped at the Anderson reservoir overlook and were
rewarded with two nearly simultaneous nature sitings. First we saw a brightly
colored kestrel perched atop a tree near the water's edge. Then, seconds later,
a bobcat appeared on the other side of the road. My son is an avid photographer
and was able to get great shots of both.

To me this just proves the benefit of having two Field Days per year -- more
time outdoors, more chance to "re-wild" amateur radio. I hope there's even
greater participation in WFD in the future.

73,
Wayne
N6KR