One point to consider is the output network that is used to match the output
device impedance to 50 ohms.  It is a fixed value or ratio.   Thus if designed
for rated power then at 1/2 or 1/4 power the value would not seem to provide a
proper match for effective transfer of energy.  This can attribute to overall
efficiency.

Bob, K4TAX

Sent from my iPhone