On 2/21/2020 6:12 PM, Lyn Norstad wrote:
In Chicagoland, all wiring must be in conduits, and both the
kitchen and the shack are on their own circuits.  In fact, the only 'home
grown' RFI I am aware of is 1 out of 4 identical HP 24" LED monitors that
puts out a steady carrier on 30 meters.

Having lived in Chicago for 42 years and maintained an engineering consulting practice there for 30 years, and as a former member of IBEW 134, I'm well aware of the conduit requirement. :) Indeed, I had a lot of conduit installed in the 2-flat I bought on the North Side in 1986. Which is also why I added the phrase "the nature of electrical wiring in your home also matters." The large sound systems I designed and specified used miles of conduit for both power and signal wiring. When I moved to W6 in 2006, I had the outbuilding that would become my shack and consulting office wired with EMT before I moved in.

Several other points here. First, RFI is generally NOT conducted on wiring from one piece of equipment to another, it is radiated by wiring from one piece of equipment to another. And it is often present on, and radiated by, the equipment ground conductor (the green wire). Properly installed conduit (continuous and bonded at every junction and at both ends) provides shielding, and prevents radiation.

Second, when I operated in Chicago, my noise level was fairly high, with contributions from my own home, my tenant who lived below me, the homes that surrounded mine, Newark's corporate office building at the end of my block, whatever was on power lines, and trains on the Northwestern track across the street. With that noise level, usually in the range of S6 to S8, it would be pretty hard to notice yet another noise source 50 ft from my antennas.

73, Jim K9YC