Except that it only happens in SSB, it sounds suspiciously like the high power amp (final) has failed in your K3S.  But start with your audio.  Are the settings normal (comp, mic gain etc)?

Can you try another microphone and turn on the monitor function to hear what your mic is producing?  Is the two-tone function accidentally on?

What power output can you read when not using the amp and going above 12 watts?  If more than 12 watts, a calibrate output would be in order for for your confidence.

Is it confined to one band?

If you don't get direction of the cause from these tests, a phone call to Elecraft service is in order.

73,
Rick NK7I