Mike,

the input circuit "the fuse" is a transformer (T1) and two resistors (R13, R24). If overdriven, it just goes into saturation and clips the signal, which leads to distortion.  If you have, however, the capability to put seriously more than 1Vpp into it (like 12V?) I don't know what happens.

Another idea: have you checked the setting "MIC SEL" is still on LINE IN?
I guess you do have acesss to the K3 Serial line, so you could use the K3 Utility to execute macros? Here is mine to switch to LINE IN: "MD2;MN053;UP;UP;MN255;" I did had problems with line out in the past, and Elecratf support digged out that it may be an equalizer setting issue for in and out. Try resetting the RX EQ to flat.
73 gl Gernot DF5RF