I retired in 2016 after 34 years as the metrology supervisor at a commercial
nuclear power plant. I couldn’t count the number of equipment failures due to
electrolytic capacitors, WAY TOO MANY.  Some brands of equipment had high
percentage failures while other brands had low. Seems the manufacture of the
CAPACITOR was a better indicator of failure rate. Many equipment manufacturers
used capacitors that carried brands from Japan, others used Sprague (which is
probably made in Japan as well, but seemed to hold up much better). Leakage
current and capacitance value change seemed to be the culprits most of the
time.

For our “standards” we added a step to our calibration procedures to check all
power supply ripple voltages to insure they were in spec.

For all other test equipment, we would do the ripple checks any time the
equipment was in the lab for repair.

Also, the plant itself had preventative maintenance procedures to energize
certain (safety critical) electrolytic capacitors in our warehouse once a year.

Sent from my iPhone