On 4/28/2020 11:35 AM, Mike Short wrote:

> I got my Novice in 1972 in Boise Idaho. I don’t remember if there was an
> FCC office there. Would they have gone to other cities to administer exams,
> or did they have VE’s by then? My dad and I both tested together.

In that era there were traveling FCC exam sessions (usually quarterly)
in such cities.  The "VE" system as we know it started in the mid-1980a
but if someone was more than 75 (or was it 150) miles from a quarterly
examination point, the exam for a Conditional license that had General
Class privileges could be administered by mail supervised by a
designated ham licensee.

Sometime in that era, Novice and Technician Class license exams were
shunted off to designated ham licensees as well because the FCC wanted
to try it out nationwide.  Some of the FCC examiners were happy about
that, some were not.  Hard to please everyone.

For a very short time, the FCC contracted with the US Civil Service
Commission to give written license exams at selected CSC offices but
that was never a success and did not last very long.

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane
Elecraft K2/100   s/n 5402

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon