Recently we've been testing and enhancing the K4's built-in text decode/encode.
This feature is very convenient on the K4, with multiple lines of received
text, and the ability to use a keyboard (wired or wireless) at any of the three
USB-A jacks. You can also transmit in any of these modes by sending CW with the
keyer paddle.

At present the K4 can handle PSK31, RTTY, and CW, as on our other transceivers.
We hope to add other in-box text modes in the future.

I was happy to discover lots of activity in all three modes over the past week.
PSK31 -- which provides below-the-noise-floor copy -- is found primarily on 20
meters from 14070-14073, and I've also heard it on 80, 40, and 15 meters. RTTY
is common (especially during weekend contests) around 14080-14090 or higher.
And of course there's CW at all times of the day or night. Weekly CWT contests
are a big draw these days.

Each of these modes has its idiosyncrasies. But one thing they all have in
common is that they're conversational -- you can carry on real QSOs. They can
also be used in contests, with no "canned" limitations on exchanges as with
heavily automated data modes.

I encourage everyone to give these modes a try. If you have a K3, K3S, KX2, or
KX3, you can use all three. Decoded text is scrolled across the VFO B display
as signals are tuned in. (See your owner's manual for further details.)

73,
Wayne
N6KR