I've been playing with a MFJ loop for my second floor condo and I can say
that loops are extremely sensitive to any close objects/surfaces. For
instance, tuning changed significantly when I had mine laying on the roof
vs. ~4ft above it (to the point where SWR was marginal on the lower part of
40m with the former). It was horizontal both times, too.

Also, loops are going to have more loss at the lower end of their design
range due to physics. 15w may very well not be enough to make contacts
depending on how it's designed, though band conditions also play a role.

-Mooneer K6AQ