David Douglass wrote:

On closer inspection I have so far found 2 ceramic door knob capacitors that
were falling apart !! These were not in the input coil alignment section,
but near the valves and band-switch in the amp.

These are probably padders to supply more capacity to either the tune or load capacitors on 80 and 160 meters. If they are broken, it might be hard to resonate the output circuit on these bands which would cause problems with input SWR and of course power output.

For you RF guru's out there... I have a couple of questions..

1. Is it possible to solder these capacitors back together ? They are the
flatter type doorknob caps and basically what has happened with both of them
is that the one of the screw housings has fallen off the side of each cap
(hope this makes sense).

I don't know, but I would certainly try, with silver-bearing solder! Look carefully to see if the units are not otherwise damaged.

2. Secondly, if this is not advisable, can I just replace these with the
standard type (barrel shaped) door knob caps, as long as the KV rating is
greater or equal to that of the originals ?? Surplus sales have these for
under $20US each

Probably yes. There is both a current and a voltage issue, but in this application the 5 KV types should be OK. $20 seems steep, however. Try this guy: <http://www.mgs4u.com/RF-Microwave/doorknob-capacitors.htm> He is honest and has reasonable prices. Also you might check Fair Radio Sales <http://fairradio.com/>, who are cheaper than the so-called 'surplus bandits'.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco