I used a Radio Shack 273-1380, whichi is 1K ohms to 8 ohms. I hooked the 8 ohm side to the plug on the PodWave and the 1K ohm side to the audio amplifier PC board. I outboarded it with leads through holes in the plastic case. I clipped the center tap on the 1K ohm side. I spent some time looking for a small SMD audio transformer in the Mouser catalog but couldn't find one that wasn't 1:1. There is enough room inside the case for a small transformer.

73,
Leigh/WA5ZNU