That is why I used the mechanical clamps. I have 10 ground rods for a perimeter ground wire around the house, 6 on the perimeter ground around the workshop building (where the antenna feedlines first enter) and another 4 in the antenna field. A total of 20 Cad Welds would have exceeded my budget - the #4 copper wire was expensive enough! All the clamps are above ground a bit, so I can check the tightness with a wrench at least once a year. In most cases, the perimeter wires are folded back on itself to fit into the clamp, so the wire is continuous rather than having cut ends. Yes, even the utility ground rod clamp is exposed. The building inspector frowned on it until I told him why and he allowed it because I do not (will not) mow grass near any of the ground rods.

73,
Don W3FPR