Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2020 10:41:41 +0300
From: Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP <k2vco....@gmail.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] FT8 - was "On Second Thought, I'll Take The
        Stairs"

For me, it's simple.

When I make a CW contact, even if its total content is "ENN TU", I am
connected to history, to Jack Phillips on the Titanic, to all of the
military traffic men and airborne radio operators of WWII, to the
operators on the merchant ships on the high seas and the Great Lakes,
and to all the hams of the past, even Mr. Marconi, the first ham.

I like hearing the propagation change with my own ears and struggling to
capture an ESP-level call. I like the feel of the key and the sound of
the code. I like the idea that there is another person like me at the
other end with his or her hand on a key.

I consider myself extremely lucky to have caught the bug at a young age
and developed the skill needed to make CW as transparent to me as my
mother tongue. I see how hard it is for those who begin to learn at
middle age or older. They shouldn't give up -- it's worth it.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
Formerly K2VCO