I must say that over many years and without any ill effect I've never bought into this idea of Gorilering up a PL259 with pliers beyond finger tight. A quarter of a turn is an unbelievable suggestion. I've just tried it and a couple of degrees is the best I could do without being brutal and even then I don't thing it would go any further.

Urban myth maybe?

Also, I've never had a failure after simply applying a generous wrap of self amalgamating tape, nothing else, to waterproof coax connectors. Our UV environment is pretty powerful, clear skies and sunshine can turn the skin on my head into huge dandruff seven days later after 30 minutes exposure.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO