I wrote about some of this in my paper ARRL Antenna Compendium paper on ladder line 20 years ago. https://sadxa.org/n7ws/Ladder_Line.pdf

I've seen pictures of those SW transmitting plants and always assumed that they must have been very efficient.  Upon reflection---no pun intended---now I'm not so sure.  If losses mounted up, (which they most certainly did at 14:1 SWR) they had the option of just turning up the wick.

Furthermore, as I said in closing: "Contrary to the conventional wisdom, ladder line is not a panacea for every transmission line problem."  In the ensuing 20 years, I've become even more convinced of this.  When tuner and balun losses are factored into this picture I don't know why anyone would want to use this stuff.  I sure don't.

I have a KAT500 and use it to tune some way-off resonant antennas (fed with 7/8" Heliax) but I don't delude myself into thinking "I've contained system losses."

Wes  N7WS
https://www.qrz.com/db/N7WS