Hi Grant,

The shield only shields electrostatic fields and does not shield the magnetic field from the inner conductors.  If the garbage is on the USB signal lines and common mode (likely), the ferrite will still be effective.  If the RFI is transverse (or differential) mode, then the external fields from those signal conductors will largely cancel and ferrite will have little or no effect.

BTW, Pro Audio Engineering is a first-line Fair-Rite dealer and we have good stock on many mix 31 parts at good prices in small quantities.

Cheers & 73,
Howie / WA4PSC
www.proaudioeng.com

If the cable is shielded, and the garbage is on the PC's USB signal lines, an external ferrite won?t do any good. I don?t know if the cable is shielded or not, but if it is, then the garbage may not be on the shield ? and perhaps the USB isolator might be worth a try. Maybe. I don?t know anything about that device ?
Grant NQ5T