Clarke,

That slow rise in power out is known as "power hunting", and is usually the result of not providing enough audio to the radio. You need to drive the audio enough to illuminate 4 bars on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flickering.

See the document on my website www.w3fpr.com - scroll the left column to the last article and click to open the document.

73,
Don W3FPR