One of my favorite portable antennas is a homebrewed link dipole for 40,
30, and 20m. I tuned it very carefully for the middle of the CW portion of
each band, but it's still fairly well tuned in the SSB portions of 40 and
20. I still use a tuner with it for phone, though, just to keep from
stressing the radio. If I'm using my KX3, the internal tuner works just
fine. If the radio doesn't have a builtin tuner, I have an Elecraft T1 that
I use. If it's by some weird quirk of fate a radio that puts out too little
for the T1 to register (a couple of my QRPp radios are like that), I pull
out the ZM-2, and everything is cream cheese. (Cream cheese? Yes.
https://youtu.be/c0m5wJRGHEQ)

I still have a project hanging fire to try a fan dipole using horse farm
electric fence webbing. It's poly webbing about 2" wide with 15
stainless-steel wires run lengthwise through the weave. I know they'll
interact, but maybe with very careful trimming I can get it all to tune.
With 3 bands, or maybe just 2, I'll have multiple wires for each band, and
if I tune THOSE to a spread frequency set, maybe I can get a very wide
bandwidth AND multiple bands on a single dipole strap. Or perhaps a
vertical with counterpoise radials? Not sure which I want to experiment
with. But I've got a lot of that strap (it was fairly cheap) and there's a
nice clamp-on connector that connects all of the wires at once to a single
connection for the power connections in its normal usage, but will also
serve as a good feedpoint. Worth a try. If nothing else, I can rule out a
multi-band fan and just go with a single band and get REALLY good
bandwidth. (A company already sells monoband dipoles made of similar strap,
but they charge through the NOSE.)

But a link dipole is my favorite multi-band antenna, at least for portable
use, where connecting and disconnecting the links isn't a big deal. It'd be
a nightmare for a fixed base antenna...you'd have to use some kind of
high-voltage, high-current relay, then you'd have the control wires
interfering with the tuning...ack. Maybe SteppIR can try it...but then, if
I was going to get a SteppIR, I'd get the new vertical that extends or
retracts a tape up and down a PVC column to tune for each band, sort of
like the "measuring tape" version of a screwdriver antenna.

I still intend to make an automatic clothesline antenna using a stepper
motor and a microcontroller at some point. I'll probably crib some of the
control circuits from Jack's new book when it comes out!

73,
Gwen, NG3P