Gentlemen,

I had a similar experience with my KX1.  I could hear signals fine when
aligning and the screwdriver was touching the trimcap, but very little as soon
as I pulled it off.
I didn't have desoldering equipment available and knew that I had tried to do
some adjusting to my L1 so that was suspect.
When I was finally able to purchase a desolderer, the first thing I did was
rework the L1 connections.  It has been fine ever since.

It was perplexing for a while:  I didn't know if the problem was the receiver,
the new antenna, or just that there were no stations on the air here.

20M is populated here, but sparsely.  Most of what I hear is European.  I have
heard one VA3 call.  I've heard Finland and Sweden both pretty well.  Nobody
seems to hear me at all.  I'm working on locating a higher antenna site hoping
to reach out better.  I'm fairly limited to 12' tents (no trees).  Radials and
poles are out of the question due to a need for secrecy.

CPT Drew Neve - 9K2/KB9LLO
Battle Captain
S3 ASG-Kuwait
Eager to Assist

Hi folks,

I have resolved the "signals getting loud when I touch the board" mystery
with help, but there is still something amiss.  Upon further testing, the
receiver appears to be profoundly deaf. It does hear some signals on 40, and
even some on 20, but not nearly as well as it should. However, I have some
clues here. Attaching the antenna does affect the signal level, so the
receiver is, to some degree at least, seeing the antenna. Also, the receiver
is detecting signals and is on frequency.  It hears my signal source OK, and
even the few strong external signals are perceptible, but again not nearly
as strong as on other receivers here. Another point of note, the background
hiss really doesn't sound like what I would expect. No static crashes, not
the background noise I would expect. Just a dull hiss like you would hear
when raising the volume on a PA system with no input.
Another point, although seemingly unrelated, is the AF gain control gives me
basically no audio until I get to about 3 o'clock. Then it gets loud very
quickly. (This could be a combination of not very sensitive headphones and
the audio taper characteristics of the pot, if in fact it is an audio
taper.). And then just before it hits maximum clockwise position, I hear a
slight "pop" and it gets noticeably louder.  I do realize that I probably
need more sensitive headphones/ear buds, but this would not explain all of
these symptoms.