Hi, Paul.

I had the same problem a few years back.  Unless you can see a carbon trace
somewhere, it's likely to be the diodes or the microprocessor.  I replaced
the microprocessor purchased from Elecraft and that fixed it.  You may want
to try snipping and replacing the diodes, first.  I purchased two
microprocessors just in case it ever happened again: my K2 is the QRP radio
for the station with connection to logging software.  The K3 was
untouched.

As I recall, the lightning strike took out the uVerse modem and a board in
my PC.  After that, I changed to using WiFi for the PC instead of a cable
just to eliminate one path for future lightning strokes.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 8:13 PM Paul Huff <paul142...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A couple of weeks ago we had a large thunderstorm roll through here with
> unfortunate consequences.  It took out our DVR cable box and the HDMI port
> on the TV that it was attached to.  The TV and its other HDMI port are
> fine.  An external USB hard drive hooked up to my computer (which was
> turned off) was also impacted but after disconnecting it, rebooting, etc.,
> it is working fine.
>
> But it appears that I have also lost the KIO2 interface unit between my
> Elecraft K2 and computer.  The radio was disconnected from the antenna and
> turned off and is fine.  I didn’t even notice that there was a problem
> until I realized that my computer log was not getting mode and frequency
> information from the rig.  (I don’t operate digital so logging is really
> the only thing that I use the KIO2 for.)  The USB ports on the computer are
> all good and the logging software does “think” that there is an input but
> no communications is taking place.  So that means that there is either a
> problem with the KIO2 itself, or the serial-to-usb unit that it connects
> through.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on how I can go about diagnosing (and fixing)
> this issue?
>
> Thanks in advance for any replies.
>
> 73,
>
> Paul - N8XMS
> Paul - N8XMS
> 100% QRP CW
> Past President of the NAQCC
> http://www.naqcc.info/ <http://www.naqcc.info/>

> Message delivered to clark.macau...@gmail.com

Clark, WU4B
Little Pistol With Wires
QRPARCI #10815
SKCC #3892
NAQCC #5055
CWOPS #1869
Collins Collectors #AC90-12432
Southeastern DX Club <http://www.sedxc.org>
North Georgia QRP Club <http://www.nogaqrp.org>

*"It is vain to do with more what can be done with less."*
*Attributed to *William of Occam (1288 AD - 1348 AD)