Thanks to those who replied to my post. I've now reached the point where the
level of the spurious tone is low enough. Here's what I did.

Following Don's suggestion I isolated the KSSB2 speech processor from the
balanced modulator by removing C20 and grounding the free end of R2 via a
100nF capacitor. Unfortunately the spurious was unchanged; a problem in the
speech processor could have relatively easy to fix.

I followed up on Steve's suggestion with some careful measurements on the
spacing between spurious tone and K2 carrier in LSB and USB compared with
the difference in BFO frequency for the two. This confirmed that the 4MHz
oscillator in the PIC U1 was coupling into the KSB2 output. Some years ago I
had made a modification to the KSB2 between D2 and Q2  to reduce the peak
SSB amplitude so it matched the Tune level. I reverted to the published
circuit and the level of the spurious dropped to about -45dB ref the SSB
output which suggested that this signal path is sensitive to pickup. Next I
moved C31, C40 and C43 from the top to the bottom of the PCB and constructed
a 1/2" high screen connected to their Gnd pads to shield the PIC, the
resonator and U2 from the o/p circuits (D1 ... Q2). It made a marginal
improvement, not really worthwhile but I shan't undo it

Next I increased the output to 2 watts. The spurious tone's amplitude is not
affected by the power setting so this should win me 3dB. I also lifted the
base of Q2 off the PCB and joined it to D2 and R8 with a piece of wire 1/16"
off the top of the PCB. That way the PCB track that connects to Q2's base is
no longer used in case it's picking up the 4MHz. Finally I retuned the 28MHz
BPF higher in frequency to try and move the spurious tone towards the filter
stopband.

The spurious is now 50dB below the SSB output and I can't see how to make
any further improvement. There are other spurious outputs at that level so
there's little to be gained in any case. I don't believe I have found the
main mechanism for the coupling but as they say "sometimes good is good
enough"

73

Chris G3WIE

--