If your Clipperton amp doesn't have the same problem then it does indeed point to the KPA1500.

I don't own a KPA1500, but a quick look at the online manual shows that the tuning unit is an L-Network.  Depending upon the load the unit is trying to match, an L-Network can require a very large amount of capacitance, especially on 160m ... which I suspect is achieved in the KPA1500 by switching in high power ceramic units for 160m.  I had to replace a couple of high power ceramic doorknob capacitors for 160m in my own tube amp because I had degraded them with a high VSWR per my earlier post about an overheating common mode choke.

Of course you might not have the same problem, but it would be one of the things I'd check.

73,
Dave   AB7E