I’ve seen no mention of modeling and/or measurements performed on any of these
antennas to see if they are within the match range of the KPA1500.

Jim ab3cv

On Sep 4, 2020, at 2:29 AM, Victor Rosenthal 4X6GP <k2vco....@gmail.com> wrote:

I had an interesting experience trying to use a balun in a very demanding
situation. I'll describe it, and at the end I have a question.

Antenna was a dipole with total length of 10m fed with approximately 480 ohm
open-wire line. Line length was 10m. I was trying to use this antenna on 40m
with a power of 1200w.

The first attempt was to use a 5kw DX Engineering 1:4 balun in the shack
between the open line and coax, feeding the coax with an unbalanced T-network
tuner. There was a lot of RFI with computers, etc. in the shack. The antenna
seemed to pick up a lot of local noise. During a period of contest operating,
the balun overheated, causing soaring SWR and ultimately internal arcing.

Next I added two capacitors in series with the line to tune out the reactance
(the 1/4 wavelength line inverted the capacitive reactance at the feedpoint of
the antenna making it inductive at the shack end). This eliminated the
overheating (it ran a little warm), but the RFI problem remained.

Then I rewired the balun to a 1:1 configuration. This seemed to help a little
with the RFI. It made tuning easier. But the antenna was still noisy.

At this point I had some really good luck and was able to purchase an old
Johnson KW Matchbox, which is a link-coupled balanced tuner. I replaced the
T-network tuner, the balun, and the series capacitors with this unit. The
antenna is now MUCH quieter and RFI problems have been eliminated.

The lesson I learned is that baluns don't work very well with high SWR,
especially when the impedance is very reactive.

And now for my question: did I permanently damage my balun when it overheated?
If so, what is the mechanism of damage? I took it apart and didn't see any
obvious signs.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel