When you are interacting with a USB thumb drive, you are normally interacting with a USB mass storage class device, not with raw USB. Most cheap USB boltons to hardware are done with the communications class, and emulate an asynchronous serial port (although some may use the human interface device (mouse/keyboard) class.

As such, the ability to write code for the thumb drive doesn't mean you can use the same code on the wattmeter, even though the chances are that the USB side can be treated as though it were something else.

--
David Woolley
Owner K2 06123.