On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 2:53 PM Al Lorona <alor...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Power was shut off to my noisy urban neighborhood...radio was amazing
> yesterday for six glorious hours.

======================
Well, here's the flip side. My old qth was noisy enough, but the real
eye-opener came when I toted my KX3 to Hyderabad, India a few years ago. I
was teaching at the Indian School of Business and living in the faculty
apartments, and I had brought the KX3 along expecting to hear a bunch of
call-signs that would sound exotic to a midwestern Yank. So I strung up a
wire around the walls of my living room, up near the ceiling, and laid a
counterpoise out along the floor. Donning my headphones I switched it on,
looking forward to an evening of entertainment as I tuned 20 CW.
Zowie! What a cacophony of squeals, buzzes, crashes, honks and toots,
burps, whistles and grinds. The S-meter jumped up to about S9+10 and stuck
there. Nowhere on the band, it seemed, was there a slot wide enough for a
signal to peep through. Finally I was able to discern a little peep
half-buried beneath the layers of trash, a lonely VU2 calling CQ. I
answered him, but of course to no avail. On a later night I heard a few
words from a QSO between a local ham and a VR2 in Hong Kong, and that was
the sum total of my ham experience while there. Where were the noises
coming from? I dunno -- from everywhere, it sounded like.

73,
Tony KT0NY