Frank:

> On Oct 1, 2020, at 1:53 PM, VO1HPFrank <invl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have a Remote K3 using K3 Mini at my home shack.  The audio output  from
> the remote K3 is taken from the SPKRS jack and fed to the Audio IN jack on
> the RR box.  I have often wondered about taking audio from the LINE OUT jack
> and feed that audio to the RR Box.
>
> Doing this would allow me to use the radio when I am at the remote site
> without having to reach behind the radio in the rack and UNPLUG the audio
> cable so I can hear the speaker.  Several times I have left the site with
> out plugging the audio cable back in which renders the remote useless when I
> arrive home.

I’m also using the K3/0-mini with Remote Rig. I have a splitter installed on
the speaker output port where one connection goes to powered speakers in the
shack and the other connection goes to Remote Rig.  Nothing to unplug and then
forgetting to reconnect and the external speakers provide better fidelity than
the K3’s internal speaker.

> I know the level of the LINE OUT is variable in the CONFIG menu.  Does the
> AF control on the K3 Mini also  control the level of the audio to the Mini
> speakers --- that audio would be fed to the remote RR box  from the LINE OUT
> jack on the remote K3.?

Keep in mind that the K3/Mini-0 controls what is happening at the K3.  So the
question is what happens at the shack using the speaker volume knob there.
When changing the speaker volume at the K3/0-mini you’re also changing the
volume of whatever is happening at the shack’s speaker output.  Thus, in my
case, if the powered speakers at the shack are left on and I change the volume
level on the K3/0-mini, it is also changing the volume level going to the
powered speakers in the shack.

IF LINE OUT is a variable in the CONFIG menu, whatever you change on the
K3/0-Mini when in Config mode for Line Out will control the Line Level going
out at the K3.  As I understand it, setting LIN OUT includes both volume level
and the control of volume.  Tapping ‘1’ will change LIN Out to = PHOnES, and
the audio level is controlled by the AF/SUB gain controls.  In addition, you
would need to set SPKR + PH to yES so that audio is still provided to the
Speaker when Phones is in use.  That way, you don’t have to change the audio
output at the K3 when using it either by the K3/0-Mini or directly in the
shack.  However, this also means that when you’re at the remote site, the K3
Speaker will be active when operating remotely.

Presumably you could connect your RR Box to this connection instead of speakers
and this may indeed provide what you’re looking for.   What you’ll need to
determine is whether the provided audio Line Level output will be sufficient to
drive the K3/0-Mini internal speaker.   I don’t know if the Remote Rig audio
will compensate for different levels provided by the the K3 speaker jack versus
the K3 Line Out jack.

It seems to me that the simplest solution to your concerns is simply insert a
splitter in the K3 speaker out jack and share the audio with external speakers
at the shack along with the Remote Rig box.  With the arrangement, there is
nothing to plug/unplug when you’re back in the ham shack and the process for
speaker audio level control remains unchanged.

FWIW,

Barry Baines, WD4ASW/1
(Currently in Boston/Roslindale, MA