HI Gordon-- I run a KPA 500 remotely and have the same problem some times. But
there's a big green bar at the bottom of the utility that sez "power on". That
should be your first indication. But its hard to know what's going on at the
remote site. I use a 'remote rig' setup to run the radio and the COM1 port to
talk to the KPA 500 and for power on and off I use a set of contacts from a
microbit webswitch to toggle a short across pin 12 on the ACC plug on the back
of the KPA --and that's the same as pushing the power button. The webswitch is
very reliable and I use if for other stuff like switching a fan in the
transceiver box, KAT500 power and a couple of coax relays. Here's a webpage
with some of the info: http://www.valhallatreefarm.com/WB7ELY/kpa500/kpa500.htm
//dave
WB7ELY

OERTOEWE