Raj,

I can only guess at the reason for your 'unreliability'.  I have not
measured the K2 low power output stability at anything as low as 0.02 mW.

The one thing I know is that the XV144 should be linear (it needs to be to
support SSB), and that the K2 determines its power digitally, so there will
be discrete steps in the actual K2 power output.  I have not calculated the
step size with the K60XV, but by the time the output is amplified by the
transverter, the steps may be noticable, particlarly with low output
settings from the K2.

If you plan to always operate the XV144 at the lower power, then yes,
adjusting the input attenuator on the XV144 may be the better solution.  Try
it and see what happens - that is an analog solution and the higher power
output level from the K2 should mask the minor variation in the digitally
controlled steps from the K2.  Note that digital steps are usually +/- 1
step from the nominal setting - so if the step size is 0.01 mW, a setting of
0.02 mW may vary from 0.01 mW to 0.03 mW where using the same step size at
1.00 mW, the variation will be only from 0.99mW to 1.01 mW and the
percentage change is much smaller (1% variation as compared to 50% at the
lower power setting).  (My exact numbers may be incorrect, but the concept
is still valid.)

73,
Don W3FPR