Sliding off topic a little: in designing some outdoor industrial control
equipment I was required to use some chunky, robust push buttons that were good
for high voltage, high current but no good at 12V. Getting to logic level I had
to build in a lot of extra current from 12V to ensure a good switch over, I
think some 30mA or so.

Using a favourite pre-war Morse key on vintage valve gear, it worked perfectly,
but on modern solid state equipment it was very intermittent and I didn't want
to make an interface. Solution, clean the contacts. Conclusion: modern gear
needs better contacts than the old stuff.

David G3UNA/G6CP