"If anybody has any lessons learned I would appreciate hearing them."

I built a KPA500 kit and I too was bothered by the transformer hum. I learned
that Elecraft has used several different transformer suppliers and that
transformer sizes vary. This means the clearances between the transformer and
the case may be very different for the supplied transformer than as shown in
the manual. I carefully shimmed the transformer before tightening the retaining
nut so there was no case contact.

I also learned that hum level is directly related to PA current. If the PA load
is mismatched the efficiency goes down, PA current is higher for same power
output, and hum level is higher. I ignore the 1.5:1 match is ok recommendations
and tune for better than 1.2:1.

Perhaps the most important thing I learned is that one can get used to almost
anything. The hum and clicks that drove me crazy in the first few months of
ownership are now ignored. I found something else to worry about.

Andy, k3wyc