Gee Alan, we get told that all the time, specially by coworkers… <GRIN>

As for the transformer, the tech support guys give good advice here. Place the
rubber disks below the transformer in the appropriate places, and one above as
the instructions indicate.
Essentially you want to get the transformer off the base chassis enough to keep
it from vibrating against it. We all worry about tightening the nut down too
much, which is why we added the torque wrench suggestion in the manual. But it
does need to be rather tight to keep things from vibrating. Also, make sure all
the screws in the chassis are tight. The hum can come from other parts as well.
Making sure thins like the rectifier board are properly tight can help
alleviate this situation also.

Someone asked about keeping the rear-panel power on. I have the first KPA500
still in operation, and it has seen very little rear-panel off time during its
life. In this situation, the power supply is on, and the microcontroller is on
in sleep mode. This means the unit does draw current, but not very much. I have
seen no effect from it on my power bill. During months when I participate in
contests I can’t say that - running 500 or so watts for long periods each
weekend does spin the power meter a bit.

Thanks for the compliment, we work very hard to create, build and support
products that make you guys happy. I think it shows.

73!
Jack, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering