Bruce;

Did you ever resolve the issue?

The KPA500 and KPA1500 send events to the K3, not commands. The distinction is
important - an event simply reports a state change in the amplifier. It is up
to the K3 to decide what to do in response, if anything.
Thus when tapping a and button the KPA simply sends an event indicate that the
button had been tapped, the K3 receives that and decides to do a band switch
(if needed).
The fact that the K3 is indicating a response (in the VFO B display) says the
K3 is indeed receiving the event properly. That means the KPA1500 is working
properly, so the issue is in the K3.

Since the K3 sets the correct power for the KPA OP mode, it should be expected
the the K3 is also selecting the high power setting when the KPA indicates that
it is in STBY mode. The is the same power level that would be used if the K3 is
powered up with the KPA left turned off. From personal experience I have many
times found the power not to be what I expected after some special operating
activity, like Field Day where we run just 5 watts. Turning the Power knob
usually fixes the problem quite nicely.

73!
Jack, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering