Doug,

You are exactly right. If you follow the K2 history, you will find that the K2 A TO B kit was issued to pull all the prior mods together as well as providing instructions about the best sequence to use when doing a full upgrade. That happened at the same time the B level boards were laid out which incorporated all the prior mods (SN3000 and above).

So anyone contemplating a full K2 upgrade, start with the K2ATOBKT and install the other kits when the A to B instructions call for them.

One other benefit is that the K2ATOBKT instructions tell you when to do the alignment instead of doing the alignment after each of the mod kits.

The A to B mod will not quite get you to a post 3000 SN equivalent unless you also change the IF crystals (not necessary if the SN being upgraded is above 2560 which was when the crystals were changed). That leaves only the K2 Keying Waveshape mod which appeared near SN 4600, but the kit has been discontinued for lack of a leaded PIN diode. New K2 kits use an SMD diode on a carrier board, but so far, that SMD diode has not made it into the mod kit instructions - yes, I know the new KPA100 kit calls for it as a prerequisite.

It will also not deal with changes to the KSB2 (the PSK mod) and the KSB2 crystals and bandwidth change to 2.4kHz. Check the resistors on your KSB2 board against the mod instructions to determine if you already have it installed, it was put into production early on.

Don't forget to upgrade the KPA100 too, the KPA100UPKT will 'do it all', there is no need for the KPA100MDKT since the parts are included in the KPA100UPKT.

So, there is the FULL story - I have upgraded many, many K2s. Anytime I had an older K2 in for repair, I gave the owner the option of upgrading or just repairing - almost all chose to upgrade. And my upgraded Field Test K2 SN 0020 performs as well as a new one.

73,
Don W3FPR