The Koss SB-40 apears to be the same headset as the Yamaha CM-500
but with a dynamic mic. The mic plug on my first CM-500 said “KOSS”,
so I’m pretty sure the only difference is the microphone.

I’ve heard complaints about the dynamic mic on the SB-40.

https://www.amazon.com/Koss-SB40-Computer-Headset-Microphone/dp/B00005ML7T
<https://www.amazon.com/Koss-SB40-Computer-Headset-Microphone/dp/B00005ML7T>

The CM-500 does not need an adaptr to be used with the KX3. Turn off
the mic button menu setting and plug it in. If you want to get fancy, a regular
stereo-to-mono splitter will separate the logic bias from the mic bias for a
cleaner, higher-level mic signal.

https://observer.wunderwood.org/2015/08/16/yamaha-cm500-headset-with-ptt-on-elecraft-kx3/

<https://observer.wunderwood.org/2015/08/16/yamaha-cm500-headset-with-ptt-on-elecraft-kx3/>

wunder