Hi, I wonder if anyone can enlighten me on this...

A few days ago I came across a posting where someone said they were using their
'PLL VFO' aka their K2 as the substitute VFO (in absence of the xmtr having
one) or as a crystal substitute.

OK, how does he do that? Is he just running key-down at a low power of
continuously keyed signal OR essentially keying the K2 at low power as a
keyed-VFO into his vintage rig? Anyone want to venture a guess?

I know I used to be able to use an old Hallicrafters tube VFO (Master
Oscillator) as a continuous running VFO (irritating since the signal could be
heard in the receiver if you did not turn off the final tube power when in
receive) or it could be run as a keyed VFO, where the keying keyed the cathode
of the final tube. So, similar kind of thing if attempted with K2?

Anyone else done this? I have a few decent QRP rigs I could conceivably use as
VFO / xtal sub / master oscillator ... whatever term to drive my older tube
rigs (and avoid the mess of DDS....). Since I don't do 80m all that much, a 40m
signal from a K2 or some other QRP rig would suffice to drive 40m, 20m and 15m
as doubling and tripling of signal (IIRC).

tnx

Brian VE3VAW