Tony,

I do not have any real experience with weak signal VHF work, but I do have
some comments about the K2 on a technical basis that may help in your
decisions.

I would be interested to know what the filter width was in use that
generated those comments as well as the serial number of the K2 that was
being used for that evaluation.  Some of those deficiencies have been
addressed and corrected along the K2's migration progress.

The facts as I know them - the K2 SSB filter has very little ripple in the
passband.  The filter crystal specs (for all the IF crystals) were improved
between Elecraft and the crystal vendor and the improved crystals have been
in K2s since SN 2560.

Secondly, the variable width (CW) filter on the RF board presents a smooth
single-nosed passband if the filter width is set to 1000 Hz or less.  Wider
passbands do tend to break up into multiple peaks which may be troublesome
to some applications, but that is the downside to attemting to use a filter
designed for best response in the 400 to 600 Hz width range at a very wide
setting - it works OK for SSB voice reception, but it certainly is not an
optimum filter shape.

Yes, the K2 is limited to 10 Hz steps - that is just part of the design
compromises that were deemed acceptable  Even RIT does not circumvent this
limitation - the firmware controls the steps and RIT works through the
firmware.

For Satellite work, several folks have previously commented that the biggest
downside for the K2 is the fact that the frequency cannot be changed while
transmitting.  That may not be a factor in many situations but where the
transmit frequency must be changed to compensate for doppler, all I can say
is that the K2 was not designed to do that task.  Maybe the K3 or K? (if it
ever gets into the product plan) will address that problem.

The 28 MHz bandpass is broader than the others, and could possibly be
improved if designed for a more narrow passband, but for HF use, that
bandpass filter must be rather wide - as it is now on the K2, the speced 10
meter band is 28.0 to 28.8 MHz rather than going up to 29.7, so some
compromises have already been put in place.  The one nice thing about the K2
is that it can be changed to better meet the needs of a particular group of
folks if desired - the network is nothing more than a double tuned bandpass
filter, and the filter components can be altered for a more narrow peak if
that is desirable.

73,
Don W3FPR