Dave,

I have done many RTTY contests and regular qso's using the KPA500/KAT500/K3 over the last few years. I run full 500 watts with no problems, the temp gets up to the 60 to 65 range a lot when calling CQ in a contest, or during a 10 minute tx.  If the temp gets to 70 then the fan kicks into high gear and is very noisy, but still within specs.
Gordon - N1MGO