From: eda...@aya.yale.edu <eda...@aya.yale.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, December 2, 2020 2:15 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: Elecraft Digest, Vol 200, Issue 3

Just before the cable failures a few weeks ago SETI did a webinar on the
very subject.  What I took away from it was that the future of radio
astronomy lies in VLBI arrays rather than wide-diameter dishes, and that for
economic as well as electronic reasons the direction is toward more numerous
much smaller antennas and lots of enhancements in data processing.  In
response to a question I put during the Q&A, the presenters' answer was yes,
that direction in radio astronomy's evolution will increase the potential
for amateurs to contribute to the kind of research large dishes have been
doing.

I too regret the catastrophe at Arecibo.  In fact, I took the occasion to
rewatch "Contact," in which Ellie Arroway as a young girl, signing W9GFO and
frustrated at her inability to reach her father on (I assume HF) SSB said
wistfully, "I need a bigger antenna."  The next scene was the more mature
Ellie standing at the edge of Arecibo.

But despite the loss of a legendary facility, if what I heard at the SETI
event was correct, there will not likely be any serious effort to rebuild
it.

Ted, KN1CBR