There is also 'talk of' an ~kilometer diameter dish in a crater on the far
side of the moon.  That seems like a lot more fun than going rock hunting.

Kind regards,

Dick - KA5KKT

Frank,

I was the foundation project engineer for the Square Kilometer Array (which
your URL refers to), as well as leading much of the effort to get the SKA
pathfinders on the ground here in Western Australia.  As you know, there's a
complementary section of the Telescope in South Africa.  Naturally we're all
excited about the prospects of the SKA, with the pathfinders having already
done much good work.  However, despite many advances in signal processing
over the years there is still a place for very large single aperture
telescopes, such as the Chinese FAST instrument and (formerly) Arecibo.  I
might add that a good deal of the impetus for FAST came from the Chinese
participation in the SKA consortium, a body in which the US originally
participated but later withdrew from.  While the millions of dollars do
indeed mount up, the direct benefits and spin-offs from astronomy are
substantial, even putting aside the basic science outcomes.  I certainly
hope the US is able to continue on its distinguished path in radio astronomy
and, SKA and FAST aside, there are many other prospects - on and off-shore -
for ensuring that happens.  Like all science, though, it relies on the
enlightened being able to spread the good word!

73, Peter (VK6HP).