I carried out some very basic tests today to determine whether the keying
waveform and characteristics of my K2 (#5390) was acceptable. I set up the K2
in one room running at 10 watts output on 28200 into a dummy load, sending a
string of cw dots. In another room I set up an Icom IC-781 on receive, preamp
and spectrum scope on. The spectrum scope in the 781 has a dynamic range of
60db and sensitivity of 0.32 microvolt according to the spec. Receive antenna
was 2 ft of wire in the 781. With no antenna connected to the 781 the
'residual' signal radiated by the dummy load (DL2500) was barely perceptible in
the noise floor, with the 2 ft antenna the signal reistered about S9 on the 781
S meter with the preamp on.

With the spectrum scope bandwidth set to +/- 25khz the cw waveform of the K2
looked very clean, with smooth skirts, at least as narrow as the marker signal
generated from the 781. No spurii, clicks or modulation detected either on the
spectrum scope or audibly when tuning around in the vicinity of the K2 signal
on the 781. I also checked the signal on the AM position on the 781 and it
sounded clean with no trace of low frequency modulation.

Very basic admittedly but encouraging so far. A tropical cyclone has just
arrived in Hong Kong so I have put off giving the K2 its first on air /P test
until better weather prevails.

73
Wyn, VR2AX