Hi Steve,
Down here in Texas the Winlink Gurus consider the Gold-X brand usb to serial
adapter to be very compatible.  I run two off of my laptop with never a
problem.
GMUX-1200.
Its here at:
http://www.goldxproducts.com/showproduct.asp?pid=GXMU-1200

The $48 TNC-X kit I just made to use with Winlink has a usb adapter option
for it for only $20
http://www.tnc-x.com/

I think USB is the way to go.  Still hams around here say its better to buy
an old laptop with serial ports, but the adapters work fine, and I like my
new but very basic laptop with just USB and no serial ports.

Reagrds,
Steve, W2MY