Jim,

The fact that you had the TPA parameter set to 11 degrees would explain the
fan not coming on even with high heat sink temperatures - the firmware did
not know just how hot the heat sink actually was because it was not properly
calibrated.

The temperature displayed in the TPA setting should always be the current
temperature of the heat sink.  The manual instructions indicating that it
should be set to the ambient temperature is correct - provided that the heat
sink has had enough time to aclimate to the surrounding temperature.

If you need more proof of that, set the TPA parameter as described in the
manual (after the KPA100 has been powered off for about 2 hours), and then
transmit for a while.  Afterwards, check the TPA parameter - it will have
gone up to the temperature of the heat sink.

IMHO, what the manual fails to make clear enough is the fact that the heat
sink should be allowed to reach the temperature of the ambient air before
you set the TPA parameter to the temperature of the ambient air.

There is a temperature probe on the KPA100 - it is Q3 which is in contact
with the heat sink.  The firmware does the calculation of when to activate
the fan based on your initial setting of the TPA parameter and the current
temperature of the heat sink.  I am not certain just what the trip point
temperatures are - one could easily check by observing the TPA value at the
time the fan turns on.

It would be a good idea to check the TPA setting before using the KPA100 in
high temperature environments.

73,
Don W3FPR