Bert, as stated there is not one correct answer.  I have been a CW ham op for
67 years with some maritime CW ops also.  In the old
days we needed to use our brain filters, since any receiver we could afford was
wide as a barn door, and even the more expensive
ones had filtering far inferior to what we now have.  So for casual operation
many of us old guys actually prefer a wider bandwidth for tuning
around and even a QSO with no or even some nearby stations, and may only use
the very narrow roofing and/or DSP filters in our
rigs if the going gets really bad.  I believe newer hams probably rely more on
a narrow filter (DSP or roofing).  When I ordered my
K3S a few years ago I got only the 2700, 750, and 400 Hz filters.  I ordered
the 750 Hz filter directly from Inrad. My plan was to later
Order more filters, but the DSP filter is so good that I do not think I will
order the 250 Hz filter.  In other radios I usually used around
700 Hz to 1000 Hz filters for casual CW, but really needed good 400 Hz and 250
Hz filters for tough (contest) operation.  So with
The DSP filtering, I think your 500 Hz filtering should be adequate for most or
all of your operating.  The exception is if you
Use your rig in close proximity to other stations (like FD) or a KW within a
few blocks, or if you have a very large Yagi in say a
20 meter contest loaded with other well equipped stations.  As Jim stated his
1000 Hz filter was probably not needed, just use
your SSB filter with your DSP set to 1000 Hz or whatever, and if things get
really tough narrow the DSP filter all the way down to
500 Hz or less and your roofing filter will switch in.  I do often use my 750
Hz filter, but not sure it would be worth it if I ordered
again.  Also, sometimes the NR function is a real help, but usually it does a
better job with somewhat wider filtering, perhaps even
over 1000 Hz in some situations.  If budget is not a consideration, and you
like go for serious contesting, and sometimes DX, then
a filter less than your 500 Hz filter may be worthwhile, so spend some time on
CW.  As to the set up as Jim suggested get and read
the Fred Caddy book.  Good info on setting up where the switch in point for
various roofing filters may be different than the BW
setting (I set mine up slightly different than the Elecraft suggestion).  Also
Fred’s, and Elecraft books offer some good advise on
how to best use NR, NB, and APF and other buttons.  The threshold settings are
important, and the settings for signals down in
the noise on 160 may not be the same as for typical ham operation.  Enjoy your
K3S, I sure enjoy mine, and do experiment since
some  CW folks use AGC and others ride the RF gain control.  I am sure many
will have other equally good or better suggestions, so just
experiment awhile before you order more roofing filters.    Rick  KL7CW  K3S
KX2 KX1 etc.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10