Hello Dave and all,

I have and old mat with a wrist strap attachment, meant to be used
with a keyboard.  I don't like wrist straps, so I use a piece of 1"
square pcb board and tuck it next to my skin, under my belt.  This
frees up my hand.

This square of pcb board is grounded through it's coily cord which
snaps on to the mat.  The mat doesn't have any other point of
connection, so I soldered a piece of wire to the bottom of the snap
connector, and this is connected to ground.

I use a wooden workbench and don't actually use the mat at all, when
working on electronics - just the pcb board tucked under my belt.

Do I really need the mat, and should my vise be sitting on the mat?

Thanks,

73, Paul  -ve1dy-

mats and only stock wrist straps! Maybe standards are slipping, or folks
just don't understand the need for mats as well as straps.