My slide rule at the time was a Sterling pocket model I got at the
drugstore for $2. I carried it in my bag or a jacket pocket.

Now I have over 100 of the things, including the venerable K&R 20" log-log
duplex decitrig mentioned in Heinlein's "Have Spacesuit Will Travel".

Another Heinlein book that's on topic here is "Door Into Summer", in which
the protagonist invents a mechanical drafting machine, built around an
electric typewriter. It revolutionized drafting in the book, just as CAD
revolutionized it for us.

73,
Gwen, NG3P