Sorry,
We are wading through and reminiscing about our early engineering training in
the 1960’s and into the 1970’s…

The CRC?  A thick book of tables of computed values.  If you wanted to know the
sine of some value?  You could look it up.  The same for logarithm, root, other
trig functions, and so forth.  The book was simply hundreds of pages of math
function tables.

A PDP-8 (or 11 or…) were early commercial computers produced by Digital
Equipment Corporation (DEC).  Design was based on simple IC gates of various
types - no microprocessors yet.  Core memory was based on tiny magnetic beads
threaded through with sensing and magnetizing wires.

Disk drives were new in the 60’s and very expensive.  A drive the size of a top
like punch cards, punched paper tape, and magnetic tape was widely used.  DEC
even had a random access tape drive (DEC Tape) that increased utility and speed.

FORTRAN was an early algorithmic programming language that supported equation
like statements.  It was well suited for math problems - not general data
oriented.  Your program was written on paper cards punched with holes whose
pattern represented letters and numbers.  A typewriter like “card punch”
facilitated creating these cards.  Cards were read into the computer when you
wanted to run the program.  Program storage was a box you carried your card
deck around in.  It all seems so primitive now!

I could not afford the HP35 - my first calculator was a TI (Texas Instruments)
SR-10.  This was 4 functions plus square, square root, and reciprocals.  So I
carried around the CRC and slide rule as well.  This was replaced by an SR-51
which had full trig functions.  This was the closest we could imagine as a
“personal computer”.

My station?  Heathkit HR10b receiver and Ameco AC-1.  Novice call signs all
included “N” as the second letter.  Frequency was crystal controlled.

Steve
aa8af
and once upon a time WN8CYL (which I now wish I could have retained somehow)