"You can only connect a  maximum of three antennas to a KAT500."

Any time you use a KAT500 with multiple antennas connected, and you also use a
KPA500, you run the risk that the band change RF blip will fault the tuner, or
the amplifier, or both.   This happens because the RF pulse gets to the
amplifier before the antenna is changed.  This problem is not seen if the
antenna is switched by an automatic antenna switch separate from the KAT500.

The problem can be easily avoided by having KAT500 and KPA500 follow the TX VFO
when the transceiver is in receive mode.

Kenwood (at least the TS-590) does not restrict which VFO is used for TX or RX.
 In simplex operation either VFO can be in use.  For split operation either VFO
can be the RX VFO and the other is the TX VFO.  Kenwood also allows memory
channels to define TX and RX frequency.  Memory channel frequencies do not
influence FA or FB.  They only change IF.  Following Kenwood VFO A is, as I
said before, a weak solution.   Elecraft has known for years how to use Kenwood
IF, FA, and FB to extract the TX frequency regardless of which VFO is in use.
It's done in KPA500 and KPA1500.

I still hold onto some fading hope that, when K4 demands less development
attention, Elecraft will release a firmware update for the KAT500.

73,
Andy, k3wyc